Prof. BAI Liping, 白立平
Academic Qualification: BA (XISU); MA (Nanjing); PhD (CUHK)
Tel: (852) 2616-7987
- History of Translation
- Literary Translation
- Translation Studies
- Fanyijia Liang Shiqiu (Liang Shiqiu as a Translator). Beijing: Commercial Press, 2016.
- "Professionals and Translation in a 'Literary Translation System'". Babel 62 (4):552–572, 2016.
- "Translator’s Ideology, Dominant Ideology and the Use of Pseudonym: An Analysis of a Chinese Version of George Orwell's Animal Farm". Archiv Orientalni/Oriental Archive: Journal of African and Asian Studies. 82(3):543-563, 2014.
- "Bo Yang Yi 'Dali Shuishou' de Gean Fenxi (A Case Study on Bo Yang's Translation of Bud Sagendorf's Comic Popeye)". Dangdai waiyu yanjiu (Contemporary Foreign Languages Studies). 7:56-61, 2014.
- "Review of Readers, Reading and Reception of Translated Fiction in Chinese: Novel encounters". Across Languages and Cultures. 14 (2):303-306, 2013.
- "Fanyi de xuancai wenti: yi jiehun ji yiben weili" (The Issue on the Selection of Materials for Translation: A Case on the Translation of Strindberg's Married). Guangyi: Yuyan wenxue yu wenhua yanjiu (Guang Yi: Lingual, Literary and Cultural Translation). 7: 43-65, 2012.
- "Translator Studies: Liang Shiqiu's Discourse on Translation". Across Languages and Cultures. 12 (1): 71–94, 2011.
- "Review of An Anthology of Essays on Buddhist Sutra Translation in China, with Annotations and Commentaries”. Perspectives: Studies in Translatology. 19(2): 177-180, 2011.
- "Review of Knowing Translation's True Face". Across Languages and Cultures. 12 (1):141-145, 2011.
- "Review of Reinterpreting Xin Da Ya". Across Languages and Cultures. 12 (2):285-288, 2011.
- "Yidao daoyi" (Way of Translation). Dongfang fanyi (East Journal of Translation). 13 (5):93-94, 2011.
- "Anthology Compilation as a Purpose-driven Activity: Luo Xinzhang's Account of the Translation Theories in 'Our Country'". The Translator. 15(2): 423-429, 2009.
- "Patronage as 'a Productive Network' in Translation: A Case Study in China". Perspectives: Studies in Translatology. 17 (4):213-225, 2009.
- "Fanyi keyi shengshuo xuduo hua: Liang Shiqiu yu Lu Xun lunzhan qijian youguan yizuo de fenxi" (Translation 'Can Save Many Words': An Analysis of Several Translated Works during the 'War of Words' between Liang Shiqiu and Lu Xun). Qinghua xuebao (Tsing Hua Journal of Chinese Studies). 39(3):325-354, 2009.
- "Wu Mi yu xueheng zazhi de fanyi" (Wu Mi and the Translations in the Journal Critical Review). Fanyi jikan (Translation Quarterly). 49:40-72, 2008.
- "Liang Shiqiu fanyi sixiang yanjiu" (A Study on Liang Shiqiu’s Thinking on Translation). Danjiang renwen shehui xuekan (Tamkang Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences). 32:1-32, 2007.
- "Fanyi yu zhengzhi: jian buduan li hailuan – tan Li Qichun fanyi de baishou tu" (Translation and Politics: On Li Qichun's Translation of Animal Farm). Fanyi jikan (Translation Quarterly). 43:23-62, 2007.
- "Babbitt's Impact in China: The Case of Liang Shiqiu". Humanitas. 17(1&2): 46-68, 2004.
- "Wenyi sixiang yu fanyi: Liang Shiqiu xin renwen zhuyi sixiang dui qi fanyi de yingxiang" (Literary Thoughts and Translation: The Influence of Liang Shiqiu’s New Humanism upon His Translation). Zhongwai wenxue (Chung Wai Literary Monthly). 31(2):185-207, 2003.
- "Tan sanmei sanhua lilun de juxianxing" (The Limitations of the Translation Theory of 'san mei' vs. 'san hua'). Shijie wenxue (World Literature) (Taiwan). 4: 246-251, 2002.
- "Shashibiya shisi hang shi di 151 shou weixie shuangguan yu de fanyi" (The Translation of Ribaldry Puns in Shakespeare's Sonnet 151). Shijie wenxue (World Literature) (Taiwan). 2:169-180, 2002.
- "Zanzhu yu fanyi: Hu Shi dui Liang Shiqiu fanyi Shashibiya de yingxiang" (Patronage and Translation: Hu Shi's Influence upon Liang Shiqiu's Translation of Shakespeare's Works). Zhongwai wenxue (Chung Wai Literary Monthly). 30(7):159-177, 2001.
- "Shashibiya shisihang shi zhong 'summer' yixiang de fanyi" (Translation of the 'Summer' Image in Shakespeare's Sonnets). Shenzhen daxue xuebao (renwen shehui kexue ban) (Journal of Shenzhen University) (Humanities & Social Sciences). 71(5):122-127, 2001.
- "Dao zhi yi yu yi zhi dao" (The Translation of ‘Tao’ and the 'Tao' of Translation). Dongfang congkan (A Multidimensional Study of Orientalism). 29(3):16-23, 1999.
- "Wenhua wudu yu wuyi" (Misreading of Cultures and Mistranslation). Waiyu yu waiyu jiaoxue (Foreign Languages and Their Teaching). 116(1):50-52, 1999.
- "On Living in an Atomic Age" (by C.S. Lewis). The World of English (Published by Beijing Commercial Press). 10:12-15, 2015.
- "Night School" (by Raymond Carver) (with an introduction). The World of English (Published by Beijing Commercial Press). 2:24-33, 2014.
- "Mo Yan" (by Howard Goldblatt). The World of English (Published by Beijing Commercial Press). 8:92-93, 2014.
- The Translator’s Invisibility: A History of Translation (by Lawrence Venuti). Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press. (405 pages) (co-translated with Zhang Jinghua and Jiang Xiaohua), 2009.
- "Preface" (by Brian Holton). In Guo Ying, Europe Is Like a Mirror. Jinan: Shandong Pictorial Publishing House. 1-3, 2008.
- "On Equality" (by C. S. Lewis). World Literature (Beijing). 1:285-288, 2007.
- "Responsibility for the Youth" (by Isaac Stern). Orient. 10: 4-8, 2002.
- Violin (a novel by Anne Rice). Nanjing: Yilin Press. (347 pages) (co-translated with Lu, Mingjun & Zhu Jun), 1999.
- "The Chinese Flour Food" (by Liu Xin). The World of Chinese (Published by Beijing Commercial Press). 1:11-13, 2008.
- "Chinese Flour Food Guide" (by Liu Xin). The World of Chinese. 1:14-19, 2008.
- "Chinese Flour Food: the Past and the Future" (by Liu Xin). The World of Chinese. 1:28-31, 2008.
- "On the Chinese Characters '樂' and '舞'" (by Huang Dekuan). The World of Chinese. 2:78-81, 2008.
- "Why Did They 'Escape at Midnight'?" (by Zhang Li). The World of Chinese. 2:88. 2008.
- "Foreword" (by Cao Quan). The World of Chinese. 3:1, 2008.
- "Longjing Shrimp" (by Zeng Fanhua). The World of Chinese. 4: 54-56, 2008.
- "On the Chinese character '射'" (by Huang Dekuan). The World of Chinese. 4: 82-85, 2008.
- "On the Chinese Characters '學' and '教'" (by Huang Dekuan). The World of Chinese. 5:78-81, 2008.
- "For the Year 2008" (by Guo Shulin & Zhao Bing). The World of Chinese. 2:18-21, 2007.
- "I Love China's Ethnic Minority Dances" (by Uda Takae). The World of Chinese. 2:88-89, 2007.
- "Mastermind of a Mansion's Revival" (by Liu Xin). The World of Chinese. 3:56-61, 2007.
- "My Bar Called 'Golden Titian'" (by Li Hongyuan). The World of Chinese. 6:70-71, 2007.
- "Olympic City Tour" (by Guo Shulin). The World of Chinese. 3:16-20, 2007.
- "Views on the Premier's Residence" (by Liu Xin). The World of Chinese. 3:51, 2007.
- "My Wonderful Experience" (by Tommaso Pierno). The World of Chinese. 4:80-81, 2007.
- "On the Chinese Characters '山' and '水'" (by Huang Dekuan). The World of Chinese. 6:26-29, 2007.
- "Hua yu e" (On "Hua" [化] and "E" [訛] ), Ming Pao Monthly. 9:111-112, 2016.
- "Li Qichun zhen you qi ren? – Liang Shiqiu zhi nv tan qi fu biming de laili" (Liang Wenqiang's View on the Pen Name Li Qichun), Ming Pao Monthly (Culture Supplement). 3(3):44-47, 2016.
- "Shi shouzhi haishi renwu" (Should it be "finger" or "figure"), Ming Pao Monthly, 2:109-110, 2016.
- "Shi ta hai shi ta (Should it be '他' or '她')?" Ming Pao Monthly. 1:123-124, 2016.
- "Li Qichun shi Liang Shiqiu de biming ma" (Is Li Qichun Liang Shiqiu's Pen Name?) Bolan qunshu (Chinese Book Review Monthly). 4:90-91, 2004.
- After receiving a PhD degree in translation studies from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Bai Liping did postdoctoral research at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Hong Kong Baptist University and later taught at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He joined the Department of Translation of Lingnan University in August 2016. His research interests include translation studies, literary translation and history of translation. His publications appear in international journals including Across Languages and Cultures, Archiv Orientalni/Oriental Archive, Babel, Perspectives, Humanitas, Tsing Hua Journal of Chinese Studies, The Translator, and Translation Quarterly. His most recent publication is a book entitled Fanyijia Liang Shiqiu (Liang Shiqiu as a Translator) published by Beijing Commercial Press (2016). In addition, he is interested in practical translation and has published a number of translations between Chinese and English. Currently he is also writing for a column on translation for the magazine Mingpao Monthly.